Dr. Chafi's research interests cover the area of computational modeling and simulation of fluid-structure interaction (FSI) problems with particular interest on the heart valves simulation and the practical aspects of blast effects on humans and structures.
- Ph.D. (mechanical engineering) North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND; 2009
- M.S. (mechanical engineering) Ferdowsi University, Mashad, Iran; 2000
- B.E. (mechanical engineering) Guilan University, Rasht, Iran; 1998
- 2010 Postdoctoral Research Associate: Dept of Engineering Mechanics, UNL (current). Research includes non-linear FE analysis and applications in FSI simulation of human heart valve & blast-related Traumatic Brain Injury (b-TBI) using LS-DYNA/ Hypermesh/ MATLAB.
- 2006 Research Assistant: NDSU. Key participant in a major project funded by the Department of Defense (DoD)-non-linear FEA using LS-DYNA/ Hypermesh/ MATLAB. Author of 4 refereed journal papers and more than 9 refereed conference papers.
- 2001 Senior Rotating Machinery Engineer: National Iranian Oil Company, Tehran, Iran. Involved in two gas refinery development (size of each more than $ 1 billion)- Responsible for monitoring and directing of the technical activities of the major EPC contractors and vendor/equipment suppliers related to rotating machinery equipment (pumps, compressors, gas and steam turbines, expanders, fans and etc) in Basic Design, Front End Engineering & Design (FEED), Detail Design, Procurement and Construction stages.
- 2001 Instructor: Azad University of Eslamshahr,Tehran, Iran. Taught Production Management, Machine Design, Occupational Safety and Health, Static and Dynamics.
- 2010 Sotudeh Chafi, M., Moavenian, M., Akbarzadeh, M.R., A Novel Soft Computing Approach to Component Fault Detection and Isolation of CNC X-Axis Drive System, Intelligent Automation and Soft Computing, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 177-191.
- 2010 Mehdi Sotudeh Chafi, Ghodrat Karami, Mariusz Ziejewski, Biomechanical assessment of brain dynamic responses due to blast pressure waves, Annals of Biomedical Engineering, 38(2), 490-504.
- 2009 Mehdi Sotudeh Chafi, Ghodrat Karami, Mariusz Ziejewski, Numerical analysis of blast-induced wave propagation using FSI and ALE multi-material formulations, Int. J. of Impact engineering, 36 1269-1275.
- 2009 Mehdi Sotudeh Chafi, Dirisala V, Karami G, Ziejewski M., A FEM parametric study of the dynamic response of the human brain with different CSF constitutive properties. Proc. IMechE Part H: J. Engineering in Medicine, 223(8) , 1003-1019.
- 2009 Abolfathi N., Naik A., Sotudeh Chafi M., Karami G., and Ziejewski M., "A micromechanical procedure for modeling the anisotropic mechanical properties of brain white matter," Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering, 12(3), 249 - 262.