Transportation and energy centers move into Whittier
Redo impresses on environmental, historical preservation and sustainability fronts
Nebraska Engineering’s formidable transportation programs, and their faculty, have earned a progressive home near UNL’s city campus.
The hailed remodel of Lincoln’s former Whittier Junior High School garnered a 2010 Environmental Leadership Award in the government category from the Lincoln-Lancaster County Health Department. The building now includes UNL’s Mid-America Transportation Center and offices for some civil engineering faculty and the Nebraska Center for Energy Sciences Research. Adjacent is the UNL Children’s Center, an earlier phase of the renovations.
At an award ceremony, the Whittier remodel was described as “a wonderful example of adaptive reuse (that) demonstrates how the university is working to learn and adopt sustainable practices.”
Advanced features include installation of the first ground-coupled heat pump on either City or East campus, and UNL’s most extensive use of LED lighting in one of the Whittier buildings.
Built in 1923, Whittier was one of the first junior high schools in the United States. The building served thousands of Lincoln students. The University of Nebraska Foundation purchased the building in 1983. The Whittier renovation is a multi-year, $23.8 million project, incorporating sustainable building guidelines outlined by the federal Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design program.