Ferguson Hall removed for campus progress
UNL moves forward with look back to site's original building
This summer, UNL demolished Ferguson Hall—between Brace Labs, Woods, Richards and Manter halls—to convert the area into a green space with seating and commemorative information about the building’s predecessor, University Hall.
Ferguson Hall was constructed in 1948 on the site of the former University Hall, which was completed in 1871. Challenges, including roof and foundation problems, plagued University Hall as the earliest building at Lincoln’s city campus.
Named for an early dean of the College of Engineering, Ferguson Hall was a hub for electrical engineering courses. Will Jensby, who graduated with his bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering in 1958, remembered, "All the EE theory courses were in Ferguson, which was a new building, though the lab sessions were held in different places."
Ferguson Hall’s most recent occupants, faculty and classrooms for the Department of Physics, moved this summer into the newly built Jorgensen Hall. For several decades, electrical engineering programs have been consolidated in the complex that includes Othmer Hall, Nebraska Hall and Scott Engineering Center.
For more information on University Hall and Ferguson Hall, see http://historicbuildings.unl.edu.