Xu Li, Ph.D.
Phone: (402) 472-6042
Fax: (402) 472-8934
Office: N117 SEC, Lincoln, NE 68588-0531
Xu Li’s research interests focus on three principal areas: 1) fate and transport of emerging contaminants (e.g., hormones, antibiotics, and antibiotic resistance genes) in the environment; 2) environmental biotechnology to remove contaminants (e.g., estrogens, perchlorate, and nitrate) from water, and (3) microbial transformation of soil organic carbon in heterogeneous landscapes.
Ph.D., Environmental Engineering, University of Michigan, 2008
M.S., Environmental Engineering, Pennsylvania State University, 2003
B.E., Environmental Engineering, Tsinghua University (Beijing, China), 2001
Peer Reviewed Journal Papers:
- Tang, Z., X. Li, N. Zhao, R. Li, F. E. Harvey. 2012. Developing a restorable wetland index for the Rainwater Basin Wetlands in South-Central Nebraska: a multi-criteria spatial analysis. Wetlands, 32: 975-984.
- Li, Z., N. Madayiputhiya, R. Nandakumar, and X. Li. 2012. Proteomic analysis of 17β-estradiol degradation by Stenotrophomonas maltophilia. Environmental Science and Technology, 46: 5947-5955.
- Li, Z., B. Dvorak, and X. Li. 2012. Removing 17β-estradiol using a biologically active reactor (BAC) reactor modified from a granular activated carbon (GAC) reactor. Water Research, 46: 2828-2836.
- Parker, D., J. Gilley, B. Woodbury, K-H. Kim, G. Galvin, S. Bartelt-Hunt, X. Li, and D. Snow. 2012. Odorous VOC emission decay following land application of swine manure slurry. Atmospheric Environment. DOI: 10.1016/j.atmosenv.2012.01.001.
- Li, X., W. Yuen, E. Morgenroth, and L. Raskin. 2012. Backwash intensity and frequency impact the microbial community structure and function in a fixed-bed biofilm reactor. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 96: 815-827.
- De Long, S., X. Li, J. Brown, L. Raskin, K. Kinney, and M. Kirisits. 2012. Quantification of genes and gene transcripts for microbial perchlorate reduction in fixed-bed bioreactors. Journal of Applied Microbiology, 112: 579-592.
- Shimada, T., X. Li, J. Zilles, E. Morgenroth, and L. Raskin. 2011. Effects of the antimicrobial tylosin on the microbial community of an anaerobic sequencing batch reactor. Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 108: 296-305.
- Li, X., G. Upadhyaya, W. Yuen, J. Brown, E. Morgenroth, and L. Raskin. 2010. Changes in microbial community structure and function of drinking water treatment bioreactors upon phosphorus addition. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 76: 7473-7481.
- Li, X., E. Morgenroth, and L. Raskin. 2008. Quantitative rRNA-targeted solution-based hybridization assay using peptide nucleic acid molecular beacon. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 74: 7297-7305.
- Choi, Y-C., X. Li, L. Raskin, and E. Morgenroth. 2008. Chemisorption of oxygen onto activated carbon can enhance the stability of biological perchlorate reduction in fixed bed biofilm reactors. Water Research, 42: 3425-3434.
- Salerno, M., X. Li, and B. Logan. 2007. Adhesion characteristics of two Burkholderia cepacia strains examined using colloid probe microscopy and gradient force analysis. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, 59: 46-51.
- Choi, Y-C., X. Li, L. Raskin, and E. Morgenroth. 2007. Effect of backwashing on perchlorate removal in fixed bed biofilm reactors. Water Research, 41: 1949-1959.
- Li, X. and B. Logan. 2004. Analysis of bacterial adhesion using a gradient force analysis and colloid probe atomic force microscopy. Langmuir, 20: 8817-8822.
- Velegol, S., S. Pardi, X. Li, D. Velegol, and B. Logan. 2003. AFM imaging artifacts due to bacterial cell height and AFM tip geometry. Langmuir, 19: 851-857.