Aemal Khattak, Ph.D.
Office: 330E WHIT, Lincoln, NE 68583-0855
Research Areas: Transportation infrastructure, Planning and Safety, Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS).
- Ph.D. (Civil Engineering - Transportation), North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, 1999
- Master of Science in Civil Engineering (Transportation), Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA, 1995
- Bachelor of Science (with honors) in Civil Engineering, N-W.F.P. University of Engineering and Technology, Peshawar, Pakistan, 1988
- Member of Chi Epsilon, The National Honorary Civil Engineering Fraternity, 1998-present
- Member of Nebraska GIS/LAS Association, 2002-present
- Member of the Mid-Continent Transportation Symposium Planning Committee, 2003 & 2007
- American Society of Civil Engineers Teaching Fellow, 2005
- Member of Nebraska Transportation Research Council, 2002-2007
- Big 12 Faculty Fellowship Award,University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 2003
- Young Researcher Award, Transportation Research Board Committee on Safety Data Analysis and Evaluation, 2001
CIVE 361 – Highway Engineering
CIVE 461/861 – Urban Transportation Planning
CIVE 498/898 – GIS in Transportation Engineering
CIVE 498/898 – Spatial Information System in civil Engineering
CIVE 870 – Analysis and estimation of travel demand
CIVE 998 – Highway Safety Data Analysis
CIVE 989 – Seminar in Transportation
Khattak, Aemal J. and Zheng Luo. Pedestrian and bicyclist violations at highway-rail grade crossings. Forthcoming in the Transportation Research Records, Washington D.C., March 2011 (paper 11-1443).
Khattak, Aemal J. A comparison of driver behavior at highway-railroad crossings in two cities. Transportation Research Record 2122, Washington D.C., 2009 (p 72-77).
Naik, Bhaven, Justice Appiah, Aemal J. Khattak, and Laurence R. Rilett. Safety effectiveness of offsetting opposing left-turn lanes: a case study. Journal of Transportation Forum, 48(2), 2009 (p71-82).
McKnight, Gregory A., Aemal J. Khattak, and Ram Bishu. Driver characteristics associated with correct roundabout negotiation. Transportation Research Record 2078, 2008 (p 96-99).
Khattak, Aemal J. and Gregory McKnight. Gate rushing at highway-railroad grade crossings: Drivers' response to a centerline barrier. Transportation Research Record 2056, 2008 (p 104-109).
Khattak, Aemal J. Reducing undesirable motor vehicle driver actions at railroad-highway grade crossings. Transportation Research Record 2030, 2007 (p 54-58).
Khattak, Aemal J. and Huda Shamayleh. Highway safety assessment through geographic information system-based data visualization. ASCE Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering, 19(4), October 2005 (p 407-411).
Gaber, Sharon L., John A. Gaber, and Aemal J. Khattak. Commercial truck parking analysis: Method to the madness or madness in the method. Journal of Urban Planning and Development, 131(1), March 2005 (p 50-56).
Khattak, Aemal J. Human fatalities in animal-related highway crashes. Transportation Research Record 1840, 2003 (p 158-166).
Khattak, Aemal J., Shauna L. Hallmark, and Reginald R. Souleyrette. Application of light detection and ranging technology to highway safety. Transportation Research Record 1836, 2003 (p 7-15).