Recently Published In
In the news:
- Ph.D., 2005 Purdue University
- M.S., 2002 Purdue University
- B.S., 2000 University of Oklahoma
Dr. Nelson's research interests lie broadly in the areas of robotics and mechanical systems design and analysis, including specific thrusts in optimal design, design of modular mechanical systems, and incorporation of graph-theoretic techniques in mechanical systems design. He is specifically interested in adapting these concepts for surgical and biomedical applications. For more information, visit http://robots.unl.edu/Nelson/www/index.htm
- Nelson, C. A., and Cipra, R. J., "Simplified Kinematic Analysis of Bevel Epicyclic Gear Trains with Application to Power Flow and Efficiency Analyses," ASME Journal of Mechanical Design, Vol. 127, No. 2, March 2005, pp. 278-286.
- Miller, D. J., Nelson, C. A., Oleynikov, D., and Jones, D. D., “Pre-Operative Ordering of Minimally Invasive Surgical Tools: A Fuzzy Inference System Approach,” Artificial Intelligence in Medicine, Vol. 43, No. 1, May 2008, pp. 35-45.
- Miller, D. J. and Nelson, C. A., “Novel Mechanical Actuation of a Modular Laparoscopic Surgical Tool,” ASME Journal of Medical Devices, Vol. 2, No. 3, September 2008, 8 pp.
- Zhang, X. and Nelson, C. A., “Kinematic Analysis and Optimization of a Novel Robot for Surgical Tool Manipulation,” ASME Journal of Medical Devices, Vol. 2, No. 2, June 2008, 8 pp.
- Miller, D. J., Luxon, E., and Nelson, C. A., “Intelligent Modular Tool for Emergency Surgical Treatment During Payload-Critical Missions,” Transactions of the Nebraska Academy of Sciences, Vol. 31 (August 2008), pp. 69-76.
- Ryland, K., Nelson, C. A., and Hejkal, T., “An Infant Surgical Table for Laser Photocoagulation: Design and Development,” ASME Journal of Medical Devices, Vol. 2, No. 3, September 2008, 8 pp.
- Miller, D. J., Nelson, C. A., and Oleynikov, D., “Shortened OR Time and Decreased Patient Risk Through Use of a Modular Surgical Instrument with Artificial Intelligence,” Surgical Endoscopy, Vol. 23, No. 5, 2009, pp. 1099-1105.
- Nelson, C. A., Zhang, X., Shah, B. C., Goede, M. R., Oleynikov, D., “Multipurpose Surgical Robot as a Laparoscope Assistant,” Surgical Endoscopy, Vol. 24, No. 7 (July 2010), pp. 1528-1532.
- Nelson, C. A., Zhang, X., Buettner, S., Oleynikov, D., “Tool Guidance using a Compact Robotic Assistant,” Journal of Robotic Surgery, Vol. 3, No. 3, 2009, pp. 171-173.
- Ryland, K., Nelson, C. A., Hejkal, T., “An Infant Surgical Table for Laser Photocoagulation: Ergonomic Improvement Analysis,” Journal of Medical Engineering and Technology, Vol. 34, No. 2, 2010, pp. 124-133.
- Miller, D. J., Nelson, C. A., Cannon, M. B., Cannon, K., “Comparison of Fuzzy Clustering Methods and Their Applications to Geophysics Data,” Applied Computational Intelligence and Soft Computing, Vol. 2009, Article ID 876361, 16 pages, doi:10.1155/2009/876361.
- Lehman, A. C., Tiwari, M. M., Shah, B. C., Farritor, S. M., Nelson, C. A., Oleynikov, D., “Recent Advances in the CoBRASurge Robotic Manipulator and Dexterous Miniature In Vivo Robotics for Minimally Invasive Surgery,” Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, Part C, Proc. IMechE, Vol. 224, No. 7, 2010, pp. 1487-1494.
- Zhang, X., and Nelson, C. A., “On the Dynamic Modeling of a Bevel-Geared Surgical Robotic Mechanism,” ASME Journal of Medical Devices, Vol. 4, No. 4, December 2010, 11 pp.
- Zhang, X., and Nelson, C. A., “Multiple-Criteria Kinematic Optimization for the Design of Spherical Serial Mechanisms using Genetic Algorithms,” ASME Journal of Mechanical Design, in press.