Khalid Sayood received his undergraduate education at the Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey, and the University of Rochester, Rochester, NY. He received the B.S. and M.S. degrees from the University of Rochester, and the Ph.D. degree from Texas A&M University, College Station, TX, in 1977, 1979, and 1982 respectively, all in electrical engineering. He joined the Department of Electrical Engineering at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln in 1982, where he is currently serving as Henson Professor of Engineering. He spent the 1995-1997 academic years at the TUBITAK Marmara Research Center and Bogazici University in Turkey. He is the author of "Introductionto Data Compression," now in its second edition, and the editor of "The Lossless Compression Handbook."
- Ph.D., 1982 Texas A&M University College Station, TX
- M.S., 1979 University of Rochester Rochester, NY
- B.S., 1977 University of Rochester Rochester, NY
Khalid Sayood's principal interest is in the search of patterns in data. He indulges this interest by looking at problems in data compression, joint source-channel coding, and various aspects of bioinformatics. Publications:
- H.H. Otu and K. Sayood, "A New Sequence Distance Measure for Phylogenetic Tree Construction," Bioinformatics, In Press.
- H.H. Otu and K. Sayood, "A Divide and Conquer Approach to Sequence Assembly," Bioinformatics, January 2003.
- Avcibas, N.D. Memon, B. Sankur, and K. Sayood, "Lossless/Near-Lossless Image Compression with Successive Refinement,'' IEEE Transactions on Communications, In Press.
- Avcibas, B. Sankur, N.D. Memon, and K. Sayood, "A Progressive Lossless/Near-Lossless Image Compression Algorithm," IEEE Signal Processing Letters, October 2002.
- Avcibas, B. Sankur, and K. Sayood, "Statistical Evaluation of Quality Measures," Journal of Electronic Imaging, April 2002.
- K. Sayood, "Data Compression," in Encyclopedia of Information Systems, edited by H. Bidgoli, Academic Press, 2002.
- K. Sayood and N.D. Memon, "Lossless Compression," in The Communication Handbook, 2nd Edition, edited by J.D. Gibson, CRC Press, 2002.
- N.D. Memon and K. Sayood, "Facsimile Compression," in The Communication Handbook, 2nd Edition, edited by J.D. Gibson, CRC Press, 2002.
- B.D. Pettijohn, M.W. Hoffman, and K. Sayood, "Joint Source/Channel Coding Using Arithmetic Codes," IEEE Transactions on Communications, May 2001.
- K. Sayood, H.H. Otu, and N. Demir, "Joint Source/Channel Coding for Variable Length Codes," IEEE Transactions on Communications, May 2000.
- M.W. Hoffman and K. Sayood, "Still Image Compression Standards," in Multimedia Communications, edited by J.D. Gibson, Academic Press, 2000.
- H.H. Otu and K. Sayood, "A Joint Source/Channel Coder with Block Constraints," IEEE Transactions on Communications, November 1999