- Ph.D., Yale University, 1992
- B.S., University de Mar del Plata, 1985
- CHME 323/823 Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics I
- CHME 442/842 Chemical Reactor Engineering and Design
- CHME 845 Advanced Chemical Engineering Kinetics
- CHME 847 Principles and Applications of Catalysis in Reaction Engineering
- Materials Design
UNL Digital Commons
Read full text versions of our faculty's past and current papers, competitive grant applications and patents online in the UNL Digital Commons.
- Partial oxidation reactions over hybrid (organic/inorganic) Ti-containing gels
- Synthesis of inorganic oxide materials with tailored porosities and well-defined (catalytically active) metal particle sizes using macromolecular templates
- Design of zeolite- and amorphous silica/cellulose composites for separation applications
- Molecularly imprinted inorganic, and hybrid (organic/inorganic) oxides
- Design of macroporous supports for immobilized enzymes utilized in reactions involving bulky biomolecules (with H. Noureddini)
- Design of catalytic nanofibers based on electrospinning of sol-gels (with Y. Dzenis)
- Computational chemistry of alkoxides and alcogel formation
Dr. Larsen has been a Professor of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln since 1993. He completed his B.S. in Chemistry from the University of Mar Del Plata (Argentina) in 1985 and his Ph.D. in Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering from Yale University in 1992.
He is also active in the American Institute of Chemical Engineers, UNL Student Chapter, as an advisor. Currently, Dr.Larsen is a consultant for ABB Lummus Global, Inc., and Kraft Food Inc. He has also held esteemed positions such as Proposal Review Panelist, Proposal Mail Reveiwer for the National Science Foundation in the past. Dr. Larsen is also the founder of LNKChemsolutions, a nanotech company with nanoparticle and nanofiber applications as core business.
- 1992 Ph.D., Yale University
- 1985 B.S., University de Mar del Plata
Nanostructured materials for biomedical applications.
- Noriega, S. E., Hasanova, G. I., Schneider, M. J., Larsen, G. and Subramanian, A., “Effect of Fiber Diameter on the Spreading, Proliferation and Differentiation of Chondrocytes on Electrospun Chitosan Matrices”, Cells, Tissues & Organs 195, 207-221 (2012)
- Mansilla E., Díaz Aquino V., Zambón D., Martire K., Marín G., Roque G., Drago H., Sturla F., Ichim T., Nuñez L., Larsen G., Riordan N., Spretz R., van Leeuwen M., Tau J.M., Soratti C., Ibar R., Maceira A., “Could Metabolic Syndrome, Lipodystrophy, and Aging Be Mesenchymal Stem Cell Exhaustion Syndromes?”, Stem Cells Int. 2011, published online May 2011, Article ID 943216, (2011).
- Marin, G. H., E. Mansilla, N. Mezzaroba, S. Zorzet, L. Nunez, G. Larsen, J. M. Tau, A. Maceira, R. Spretz, C. Mertz, S. Ingrao, C. Tripodo, F. Tedesco, and P. Macor. “Exploratory study on the effects of biodegradable nanoparticles with drugs on malignant B cells and on a human/mouse model of Burkitt lymphoma”, Curr Clin Pharmacol 5, 246 (2010).
- M. Skotak and G. Larsen, "Visible Light Absorbing Biocompatible Oligomers Based on L-lactide and Aminosugars: Preparation and Characterization", Polymer Int. 59, 1331–1338 (2010).
- Skotak, M., Noriega, S., Larsen, G. and Subramanian, A., “Electrospun cross-linked gelatin fibers with controlled diameter: The effect of matrix stiffness on proliferative and biosynthetic activity of chondrocytes cultured in vitro”, J. Biomed. Mat. Res. A 95(3), 828 (2010).
- M. Skotak and G. Larsen, “Co-solvent Mediated Fiber Diameter and Fiber Morphology Control in Electrospinning of Sol-Gel Formulations”, J. non-Cryst. Sol. 354, 5547 (2008)
- M. Skotak, A. P. Leonov, G. Larsen, S. Noriega and S. Subramanian, “Biocompatible and Biodegradable Ultrafine Fibrillar Scafold Materials for Tissue Engineering by Facile Grafting of L-lactide onto Chitosan”, Biomacromol. 9, 1902-1908 (2008).
- M. Skotak and G. Larsen, “Solution Chemistry Control to Make Well Defined Submicron Continuous Fibers by Electrospinning: The (CH3CH2CH2O)4Ti/AcOH/Poly(n-Vinyl Pyrrolidone) System”, J. Mat. Chem. 16, 3031 (2006).
- "Synthesis and Evaluation of Scaffolds for Potential Use in Cartilage Tissue Engineering," A. Subramanian, H. Lin, D. Vu, and G. Larsen, J. Biomat.Sci.-Polym.,Ed 16, 861 (2005).
- "Electrohydrodynamics and Hierarchical Structure Control: Submicron-thick Silica Ribbons with an Ordered Hexagonal Mesoporous Structure," G. Larsen, R. Spretz, and R. Velarde-Ortiz; J. Mater. Chem., 14, 2372 (2004).
- "Synthesis and evaluation of scaffolds prepared from chitosan fibers for potential use in cartilage tissue engineering," A. Subramanian, H. Lin, G. Larsen, and D. Vu, Biomed. Sci. Instrum., 40, 117 (2004).
- "Electrically Forced Coaxial Nanojets for One-Step Hollow Nanofiber Design," I. G. Loscertales, A. Barrero, M. Marquez, R. Spretz, R. Velarde-Ortiz, and G. Larsen, J. Amer. Chem. Soc., 126, 5376 (2004).
- "Templating of inorganic and organic solids with electrospun fibres for the synthesis of large-pore materials with near-cylindrical pores," G. Larsen, R. Spretz and R. Velarde-Ortiz, J. Mat. Chem., 14, 1533 (2004).
- "Use of Coaxial Gas Jackets to Stabilize Taylor Cones of Volatile Solutions and to Induce Particle-to-Fiber Transitions," G. Larsen, R. Spretz and R. Velarde-Ortiz, Adv. Mater., 16, 166 (2004).
Awards and Honors
- National Science Foundation MCAA Award, 2002
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award, 1998
- Nominated for the University-wide Teaching Award, 1995
- Yale University Prize Teaching Fellow, 1991
- Henry Prentiss Becton Prize for Excellence in Engineering Research, 1992
Memberships and Positions
- Active in American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE), Member 1993-present
- Editorial Board Member Applied Catalysis A (Elsevier), 2003-2007
- Consultant for ABB Lummus Global, Inc; Kraft food, Inc.
- Past Proposal Review panelist, Proposal Mail Reviewer, national Science foundation
- Founder LNKChemsolutions, nanotech company with nanoparticle and nanofiber applications as core businesses